Now you don’t have to walk into a shop, put on the gloves, and make sure that you’re getting a snug fit. Instead, you can buy gloves online, from the comfort of your home. Great deals are in online shops now too. But how do you make sure that you’re buying gloves that fit you well? How to measure hand for gloves to pick the right size?
Buying gloves is not like buying a shirt. The measurements just make sense. Let us help you measure your hands perfectly so that you can make sure you’re buying a pair of gloves that is a perfect fit for you.
What Do You Need to Measure Your Hands for Gloves
Most online sellers for gloves are well aware that the most common issue with buying gloves online is how to make sure that the gloves will fit. That’s why they usually place the different sizes available for the gloves as well as the specific measurements for each size. The problem is most buyers don’t know how to interpret these sizes and measurements. After all, it’s not like buying a shirt or shoes.
First, let’s get some items together to measure your hands to get that snug glove fit. You won’t need much, just a few household items will do.
- Fabric Measuring Tape
The fabric measuring tape is the kind that seamstresses use that can be rolled up like a tape, thus the name. This is unlike the engineer’s measuring tape that is stiff and can’t be rolled or wrapped over your hand which is what we have in mind for this tutorial.
If you don’t have a fabric measuring tape, there are some easy to find alternatives that we’re sure you have lying around at home. You can also use:
- Piece of string
Be sure that the piece of string you will be using is at least the same length as the ruler, just for ease of use. The ruler should also be a full 12-inch ruler and not one of those 6-inch rulers that some kids are using these days.
Now that you’ve got all of the items that you need to measure your hands for that perfect glove fit, let’s move on to the actual tutorial.
Want to know how to pick the best gaming gloves?
4 Easy Steps on How to Measure Hand for Gloves
For measuring your hands to find your glove size, you’re going to be measuring the circumference of your hands as shown below. Note that the measurements for gloves are measured in inches.
- Take your hand and place it flat on the table, palm up, with fingers loosely together.
- Use a fabric measuring tape. Take it and then wrap it around the widest part of the hand, just below your knuckles. Have no fabric measuring tape at hand? No prob. Feel free to wrap a small piece of string around the same area and measure the string with a ruler in inches.
- Round up the measurement to the nearest inch. For a proper fit with a cloth glove, we suggest that you add an extra half inch when choosing your glove size.
- The glove measurements will have a corresponding size which will look like the following:
|Hand Measurement||Glove Size|
|6.5 inches||Size 7||S||M|
|7 inches||Size 7.5||M||L|
|7.5 inches||Size 8||L||XL|
|8 inches||Size 8.5||XL||XXL|
|8.5 inches||Size 9||XXL|
|9 inches||Size 9.5|
Always remember that the exact measurements to general sizes (S, M, L) often differ from manufacturer to manufacturer so it’s better to buy gloves with specific numbered sizes or to get the exact measurements of the gloves.
Measuring Your Hand Span
Some websites and online stores will also list the length of the hand span. While the circumference is usually enough to find your ideal glove size, it never hurts to make sure that your hands fit all the measurements of your gloves of choice.
- To measure your hand span, spread your fingers as wide as possible.
- Take your measuring tape and measure from the tip of your thumb to the tip of your pinkie. You can easily take the same measurement with a ruler directly. The number that you get is your hand span.
Measuring your hand span is more commonly done if you’re planning to play any musical instruments, like the cello or the piano. It will tell you your reach, and you can adjust the size of the instrument that you’re choosing depending on the measurement.
Measuring Your Hand Length
If the website or online store also lists the length as one of the measurements for the gloves, you can easily find this measurement too.
- Place your hand on a table or any flat surface, palm up.
- Using a measuring tape or ruler, measure the length of your hand starting from the base of your palm up until the tip of your longest finger. The number you get is your hand length.
Your hand length is more commonly used to find a good fit for sporting goods and gloves. It will determine the kind of tennis racket or baseball glove that you need to buy.
Conclusion on How to Measure Hand for Gloves
We hoped you enjoyed the tutorial on how to measure your hands for gloves as much as we enjoyed making it!
While general sizes from small to large can differ in measurements, the measurement of your hands’ circumference is exact. The best way to buy a pair of gloves that fit well without trying them on is by measuring your hand circumference and finding the corresponding size, plus half an inch for that perfect snug fit.
This is by far the best way to make sure that you don’t end up buying a pair of gloves online and not having it fit your hand comfortably and well. This is also the recommended way of measuring your hand from glove manufacturers themselves.